[CT Birds] Hamden Turkeys

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 22:04:05 EDT 2012

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" (WKRP Cincinnatti, Episode 7, 1978)
I took the dog out to the Farmington Canal for "an easy 3" this late afternoon.  As we jogged north towards S Brooksvale Road, a Turkey with 7 poults, jumped onto the trail just in front of us.  Mom continued running into the vegetation of the canal, but the poults banged a right and kept on running up the paved path, just in front of us.  Finally they sprung, as gracefully as Green-winged Teal out of a prairie pothole, or Northern Lapwings with unusually monstrous feet. They gracefully flew up into the woods and out of sight.
Steve Mayo