[CT Birds] August (Hawk) Migration at Lighthouse

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 11 21:14:06 EDT 2012

I know, I know, with these murky clouds, southerly winds and humidity, we're seeing the weatherman report "75 degrees; feels like 90" (slight exaggeration).

But it could happen.  Really, it could.  On 8/30/99, Neil Currie tallied 111 Sharpies, 127 Kestrels, and a day's total of 388.  On 8/31/06, the 126 total was mostly comprised of 85 Osprey.

Scads of Swallows, Bobolinks, Waxwings, Hummingbirds, Icterids, Orioles and even Finches, are also possible as are rarities such as Am Bittern and OS Flycatcher. On 8/31/07, an estimated 1,250 Chimney Swifts went by, and just last year, on 8/23/11, an OS Flycatcher and 605 Eastern Kingbirds were tallied.

Listen, the dog days are over. It's time for Fall migration (Heck, the shorebirders know that the Fall migration is well underway by the 4th of July weekend).

So check for those strong Northerly or Westerly winds, and come on down to Lighthouse.  The current forecast calls for some favorable weather, maybe towards the end of next week.

Steve Mayo
Bethany