[CT Birds] Audubon CT Citizen Science Opportunity

Lori Mott zoogirl527 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:38:57 EDT 2012

I am sorry to repost this citizen science opportunity, but I still have
several open areas that I could use some help in monitoring neotropical
migrant activity this fall.  They are:

Nehantic State Forest, Lyme
Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven
Milford Point, Milford
Rt. 44 Powerline, West Hartford
Greenwich Point Park, Greenwich
Penwood Park, Simsbury
Line Street, Manchester
Roosevelt State Forest, Stratford
Boothe Memorial Park, Stratford

If you bird any of these areas and can visit one morning a week from August
20 - October 20, please let me know.  The survey typically takes no more
than 45 minutes.  The full description is below.

Thank you,
Lori Mott
zoogirl527 at gmail.com

Audubon CT is seeking citizen scientists (volunteer birdwatchers) to
participate in surveys of Neotropical migrant songbirds during fall
migration, one morning per week from August 20 - October 20, 2012.
 Volunteers should have strong bird identification skills and at least a
basic ability to identify common plants.  Our priority sites for the
surveys are coastal sites from Greenwich to New London as well as sites in
the greater Hartford area, but people interested in conducting the surveys
at other sites in CT are welcome to participate as well.  To volunteer or
for more information, contact Lori Mott at zoogirl527 at gmail.com.

The songbird surveys are part of Audubon's new Habitat Oases for Migrating
Songbirds program, which seeks to identify, improve and conserve important
stop-over habitat for migrating songbirds all along the Atlantic migratory
flyway, focusing on urban areas and other landscapes where there is limited
quality habitat.
The program, performed in collaboration with Audubon chapters, botanical
gardens, state and municipal parks departments, and other groups, engages
citizen scientists in migratory songbird surveys of urban green spaces and
rural forest remnants.  The surveys help us to determine the
characteristics of high quality stop-over habitat and which species of
plants are most beneficial as food sources for migrating songbirds. Audubon
and its partners are using the results of this study to:

¨      Promote the protection of critical stop-over habitats by helping
government agencies, corporations, land trusts, and other landowners make
informed land use and land protection decisions

¨      Improve the quality of public and private lands as stop-over
habitatfor migrating birds by guiding the management and landscaping
practices of
natural resource managers, private landowners and professional landscapers

¨      Develop regionally-specific lists of "bird-friendly" native plants
that may be used to guide landscaping practices in parks, gardens and