[CT Birds] Non-birding question

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Aug 16 15:49:04 EDT 2012

Scott I think it may be one of the species of Scoliid wasp. If we're talking of the same insect it is large, bulky, with many visible "hairs" on the thorax and abdomen (giving it a sort of "wooly bear" appearance), is largely black with vivid orange, and flies slowly and deliberately, searching close to the ground and at the base of weed and grass clumps. If some of our entomologically more knowledgeable members can't elucidate further I'll try and dig more up after work. They are commonly called "Digger" wasps, but that is a catch-all name really, used for a number of different wasps. They really grab your attention though don't they? Every time I see one it stops me in my tracks and I have to follow it around!

David Provencher
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.