[CT Birds] Non-birding question

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 16 19:10:48 EDT 2012

Okay, not trying to drag this OT thread on forever but the wasps I've been
seeing are not Cicada Killer Wasp or Golden Digger Wasp. I believe the wasp
in question to likely be in the genus Campsomeris. The species I'm seeing is
approximately 3 inches long and quite robust in appearance! Here is a link
to photos of a wasp that is very much like the ones I've been observing
lately.
http://thedragonflywoman.com/tag/wasp/
The wings do look brownish-orange in flight as Scott has pointed out. If
anyone can add more info regarding Scollid wasps in Connecticut I'd love to
hear (off-list is probably better), and I'm sure Scott would as well. I'm
gonna have to carry my bug net more...

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England