[CT Birds] Catbirds' nest - a sad tale

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 22:38:26 EDT 2012

8/17 New Milford garden - Aug. 6 I was pulling bittersweet from a hedge and
 uncovered a Gray Catbird's nest at eye level with 3 eggs.  The female  was
mewing nearby . Yesterday (8/16) I checked the nest for the first time and
found 2 fat fluffy babies - the mother chased me off, almost attacking me.
 Today I was in the vicinity of the nest but there was no sound nor any
sign of  the parents, so I peeked.  The nest was empty.  I was shocked -  the
nest was not disturbed.  I don't think I could I have caused  desertion and
they looked too young to fledge at a max of 10 days.  I was  about to write
this wondering about so late a nesting, now it's  immaterial.  Too sad.

Angela Dimmitt
New Milford