[CT Birds] Early Evening Radar

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Aug 18 23:14:51 EDT 2012

I happen to look at the radar tonight and just after dark it seemed to explode with activity.  The effectiveness of the radar at picking up birds varies by distance, but the coast appeared to show the most extreme activity.

FYI, the radar site I checked is http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/.  I check the Regional reflectivity option, and then click on the map right around Long Island.  Adjustments to the date and time (GMT, not EDT) and loop duration allow adjustments of when the information was gathered.  (Its not bad for watching storms approach too.)

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT