[CT Birds] Pine Creek migrants

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sun Aug 19 23:21:45 EDT 2012

Sorry for the late post. Alex Burdo called me this afternoon with great reports of a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, a Mourning Warbler, and a Worm-eating Warbler at Pine Creek, so I headed right over and spent over 4 hours birding the place today. It was full of migrants and not only did I relocate the Mourning Warbler and the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, but I found an additional Yellow-bellied Flycatcher AND and an additional Mourning Warbler. List of highlights below:

1 Northern Harrier - isn't it a little early?
2 Yellow-bellied Flycatchers
2 Willow Flycatchers
1 Least Flycatcher
2 Empid sp.
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
1 Ovenbird
4 Northern Waterthrush
1 Blue-winged Warbler
14 Black-and-white Warblers
2 Mourning Warblers
11 Common Yellowthroats
7 American Redstarts
2 Magnolia Warblers
15 Yellow Warblers - according to ebird, this was an unusually high count for this time of year?
2 Chestnut-sided Warblers
3 Canada Warblers
3 Indigo Buntings
3 Baltimore Orioles

It appears songbird migration has begun in earnest... fall is already on our doorstep!

James Purcell
Fairfield