[CT Birds] Rock Hill Meadows Least Bittern

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Aug 20 10:40:52 EDT 2012

Passing this along.

 From Andrew Dasinger, South Glastonbury
8/19 – Rocky Hill Meadows, Rocky Hill – A few more details on the Least Bittern reported at Rocky Hill Meadows. It was a juvenile bird, still with downy feathers on its crown.  It entering the meadows from the Rocky Hill ferry landing, it was seen perched in vegetation at the near edge of the first grassy field (no, not a marsh) on the right (east side of the road), which is separated from the road by an unplanted (or harvested?) farm field.  I glimpsed it as it landed (clumsily), not realizing its identity until I put the scope on it - a pleasant surprise. It was visible for several minutes, walking among the stalks of grass and milkweed, even teeing up for a period. Presumably this bird is the product of nesting in some of the nearby marshes.  Lots of Bobolinks were also in this field.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT