[CT Birds] Rocky Hill Dickcissel

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Aug 20 11:53:04 EDT 2012

I heard the Dickcissel flying over with a group of Bobolinks at Rocky Hill Meadows this morning.  About a dozen Semipalmated Plovers were a good find for inland and there were 2 Solitary Sandpipers and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, plus about 50 Killdeer and a similar number of Least Sandpipers and at least one Semi sand.

Upon arrival home, there was yet another giant swallowtail in the gardens near my driveway.  7th sighting in the last 4 days, on 3 of the last 4.  I suspect they are all unique individuals, but at least 3 different based on identifiable wing damage.  Also in the last few days we've had fiery skippers and a red-banded hairstreak.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road