[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Kickoff - OS Fly

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 19:14:40 EDT 2012

Hi All,

The start of the fall hawk migration often starts with more of a whimper than a bang, but today actually went quite nicely. First up I was greeted with an Olive-sided Flycatcher perched atop the usual tree behind the intern house at Audubon Greenwich and as I scanned through the myriad of passing swallows picked up 4 passing Common Nighthawks as well as a couple of Cliff Swallows, which actually hung out for the day. As far as raptors I tallied a handful of Ospreys and 1 Sharpie.

In other news, if you've always fancied yourself as a hawkwatcher, we are still looking for volunteers to cover weekend days during the season (mainly October/Novemeber). Drop me a line if you have any interest.

Also Interested to see Frank had a Lark Sparrow in Stratford today. They seem to be relatively regular on Long Island in August and I've always had it in my mind to look out for one in CT this time of year. In fact I was just bemoaning the lack of August CT reports to a LI Birder the other day - anyone know if there are any others?

Luke Tiller, Wilton