[CT Birds] Possible LITTLE STINT. LARK SPARROW, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 20 22:48:46 EDT 2012

8/20/2012 - This morning at Stratford Point,  Stratford, after discovering an
adult LARK SPARROW and showing it to Milan Bull, Anthony Zemba, and Charles
Barnard,Jr., I made a quick walk around the rest of the coastal perimeter path.
 I found a relatively small flock of shorebirds resting at high tide on the
north side of the point, consisting of Semipalmated Plovers and Semipalmated
Sandpipers (adult & juvenile).  Among them I scoped a small "peep" that had a
strange rusty-buffy wash on the breast, and had dark legs.  I then saw that it
had a distinct split white supercilium (eyebrow).  At this, I thought it might
be something rare like a Little Stint. So I managed to take a few digiscope
photos.  Unfortunately something spooked the flock after about 5 minutes, and
they all  departed to the southwest towards Russian Beach.
The photos also show a pale face, white forehead, dark eyeline to the bill,
bright rusty upper scapulars, largely dark-centered scapulars and wing coverts
with bright pale edges.  A noticeable pale "V" is on the mantle.  The bill is
black, straight, and tapered to a fairly fine point, unlike the slight droop
that a Least Sandpiper exhibits.
I had to leave on an urgent errand.  But I returned late afternoon to search for
this sandpiper, as well as the Sparrow.  Negative on both.

Photos of the sandpiper/stint and the sparrow can be seen

Comments welcomed.

Also, 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches were at Roosevelt Forest (Peters Lane) today, in
the White Pine stand near the lot.

Frank  Mantlik

p.s. There is still space on my upcoming Sunrise Birding Shorebird/Tern Walks on
8/23 and 8/29.  Please go to
Sunrisebirding.com   for information ("Local Walks") and to register.