[CT Birds] Possible LITTLE STINT. LARK SPARROW, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 20 22:48:46 EDT 2012

8/20/2012 - This morning at Stratford Point,  Stratford, after discovering an
adult LARK SPARROW and showing it to Milan Bull, Anthony Zemba, and Charles
Barnard,Jr., I made a quick walk around the rest of the coastal perimeter path.
 I found a relatively small flock of shorebirds resting at high tide on the
north side of the point, consisting of Semipalmated Plovers and Semipalmated
Sandpipers (adult & juvenile).  Among them I scoped a small "peep" that had a
strange rusty-buffy wash on the breast, and had dark legs.  I then saw that it
had a distinct split white supercilium (eyebrow).  At this, I thought it might
be something rare like a Little Stint. So I managed to take a few digiscope
photos.  Unfortunately something spooked the flock after about 5 minutes, and
they all  departed to the southwest towards Russian Beach.
The photos also show a pale face, white forehead, dark eyeline to the bill,
bright rusty upper scapulars, largely dark-centered scapulars and wing coverts
with bright pale edges.  A noticeable pale "V" is on the mantle.  The bill is
black, straight, and tapered to a fairly fine point, unlike the slight droop
that a Least Sandpiper exhibits.
I had to leave on an urgent errand.  But I returned late afternoon to search for
this sandpiper, as well as the Sparrow.  Negative on both.

Photos of the sandpiper/stint and the sparrow can be seen
here:www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm

Comments welcomed.

Also, 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches were at Roosevelt Forest (Peters Lane) today, in
the White Pine stand near the lot.

Frank  Mantlik
Stratford

p.s. There is still space on my upcoming Sunrise Birding Shorebird/Tern Walks on
8/23 and 8/29.  Please go to
Sunrisebirding.com   for information ("Local Walks") and to register.