[CT Birds] Windham Airport- Nighthewks and Baird's Sandpiper

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Tue Aug 21 19:49:10 EDT 2012

This evening, around 5:45 PM, I witnessed about 350 Common Nighthawks
leaving a roost? at the Windham White Cedar Bog accross Rt 6 from
Windham Airport.  The nighthawks circled  up and proceeded north up the
Natchaug River Valley.  Between 6 and 7:15 PM, I saw about 175 of them
heading back south.  Quite the sight.
In addition, there were 2 Baird's Sandpipers, and 4 Least Sandpipers out
on the grassy expanse of the airport.  At least twice in the last week,
I have seen peeps on the airport, but they were too far out on the
airport to get an accurate ID.  I saw these birds in flight, and
actually was able to find them in the grass after the flock landed.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin, CT

 From Phil Rusch:

8/21/12--Windham, Route 6, Windham Airport
5:45-7:15 PM -- Common Nighthawk-350,
6:30PM -- 2 Baird's Sandpipers