[CT Birds] LHPP 8-22-2012

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 13:32:43 EDT 2012

Good afternoon.

I spent from 8:15 until 10:30 EDT at Lighthouse this morning. When I arrived, the winds were from the North at about 5MPH. At 10:00AM they switched to SouthWest. Cloud cover was at 50%, and relatively clear. After the winds shifted, everything became VERY quiet.

Flying West were 2 OSPREY, one at 8:40, and 1 at 9:20. A Harrier passed at 9:30.
There were several Ospreys in the park, hunting also.

Other birds going thru this morning:

Tree Swallows... 220 (at one time, about 9AM, I estimated 400 or so swallows milling over the marsh)
Red-Winged Blackbirds... 230
Common Grackle... 30
Barn Swallow... 30
Bob-o-link... 90
Eastern Kingbirds... 22 ( one year ago tomorrow, I had 605 E.Kingbirds go thru)
Chimney Swift... 30
Ruby-throated Hummingbird... 2

In addition, there were upwards of 50 Monarchs, many Ladys, Red Admirals, and one Cloudless Sulpher butterflies.

Bill Banks