[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:14:24 EDT 2012

8/22 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center   10AM-1PM. low tide
rising,  around 75-80F.
At 10AM there was one juvenile osprey calling from the nest and 1 circling
the marsh.  At 10:10, Juvenile #2 made a few attempts to land on the nest
but was discouraged by Juvenile#1, until  a mini-battle and then #1 left,
while #2 landed on the nest.
At 11:30 there were 3 ospreys on the nest, one had brought in a fish and
left, so I assume it was an adult. One of the juveniles remained on the
nest eating a fish for most of the morning.  It left around 12:45PM,
followed by the other osprey on nest.  Much of the mottled coloration on
the juveniles is becoming more solid colored.  Lots of calling while the
ospreys were on the nest. 2 other ospreys flying through marsh.
Other species on the marsh were 29 American Black ducks, 9 Great Egrets, 5
Snowy Egrets, 23 Cormorants (I think all were double crested), mute swans,
1 Great blue heron, 2 juvenile Yellow crowned night herons, 22 terrapins on
a mud flat far out on marsh,  and a flock of
200+ "peeps" flying through marsh...some semi-palmated sandpipers.
On the grounds were mockingbirds, mourning doves, cardinals, starlings,
house sparrows and a singing Carolina wren.
Beverly Propen, Orange