[CT Birds] Rocky Hill Meadows Baird's Sandpiper

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Aug 22 19:25:02 EDT 2012

There was a Baird's Sandpiper mixed in with a flock of Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers at Rocky Hill Meadows this afternoon.  Most of the peeps have been foraging on the plowed open fields soon after you enter the meadows.  Biggest group of semis I've seen there with at least 30, along with the 50+ least.

The flock was spooked by a flyover Merlin.

>From Patrick Comins:
08/22/12 - Rocky Hill Meadows-- BAIRD'S SANDPIPER and MERLIN.

Also, yesterday on the way to New Haven, there was a small white egret perched on a wire out in the Q-Marsh as seen from I-91.  I couldn't pull over, but it struck me as really small, perhaps a Cattle Egret.  Also, I don't recall ever having seen a Snowy perch on a wire before, but have seen Cattle Egrets doing that (not that that means anything, but perhaps something to keep any eye out for).

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut