[CT Birds] Hawk I.D. Question

Edward Dettore ctbirding at mail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:29:13 EDT 2012

While birding at Station 43 yesterday, I saw what I had assumed was a Red-tailed Hawk soaring high above, when I noticed it didn't have the dark bar on the leading edge of its wings. Further inspection revealed translucent windows where the primaries meet the wingtips, making me think Red-shouldered Hawk. My question is: Are the translucent primaries enough to I.D. it as a Red-shouldered Hawk, or is this common in other hawks. I have a picture (a really bad one) where you can see what I am talking about, concerning the primaries. Thank you for any help.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107605353618421013589/albums/5727665918721749121/5780042762123993010

 Ed Dettore