[CT Birds] Birdcraft this morning

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:25:27 EDT 2012

I conducted my first Habitat Oases survey of the fall this morning at
Birdcraft (314 Unquowa Road, Fairfield) and while it wasn't particularly
birdy, I saw the following reportable neotropical migrants:  *American
Redstart, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Baltimore Oriole.*  I noted
that the Kingbird was eating porcelain berries rather than hawking insects,
which I thought was interesting.  I looked on the Cornell website and saw
that they eat fruit in the tropics, so I suppose it's not unusual for them
to also eat fruit on migration.  Is this something others have noted?
[eBird checklist link below]

--
Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut