[CT Birds] Birdcraft this morning

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 24 10:21:59 EDT 2012

Off the top of my head: Drawing an analogy between human metabolism and
avian metabolism (similar biochemistry), fruit is a source of quick muscular
energy to replace the stored energy burned during migration. Using myself as
an example, on Tuesday I hiked 20 miles in the White Mountains and burned
several thousand calories over my normal daily caloric usage. So I ate foods
high in easily metabolized calories while I was hiking and even splurged on
McDonald's food afterwards (admittedly poisoning the well somewhat but hey I
just hiked 20 miles through the mountains and everything hurt a lot!),
something I would virtually never do on a normal day. Migrating birds very
quickly use up an amount of stored energy that dwarfs (relatively) what a
pathetic human (like me) can burn over the same temporal period, and must
replace it quickly. In the case of a Kingbird, it can either choose a high
protein food for energy (insect), which will take longer to metabolize, or
it can choose a food already high in sugar (fruit/berries) and metabolize
usable muscle energy more quickly.

On a sighting note, while drinking coffee and reading on the deck this
morning, I heard a steady stream of Bobolinks flying over. Not a large
number but a calling bird every few minutes or so. Also an R-b Nuthatch
flyover (surprise surprise).

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England