[CT Birds] Rocky Hill Meadows; Baird's Sandpiper, 8/23

Scholten, Andrew L ascholten at assumption.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:36:18 EDT 2012

  I had the aforementioned bird yesterday with a flock of about eighty Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.  Noticeably larger and paler than the others, with elongated shape.  I only saw it twice after about twenty minutes of looking, but both were quite nice.
  The flock was very active, feeding and flying around.  After about a half-an-hour, they split into two groups of about forty birds and kept to their feeding.
   Besides the sandpipers, there were Killdeer everywhere, along with a few Semipalmated Plovers.  Nice shorebird spot!

Good birding,
Andy Scholten
Sudbury, MA/Westbrook, CT