[CT Birds] Deceased wood warbler ID- Ovenbird?

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 26 10:46:02 EDT 2012

Unfortunately discovered a deceased wood warbler by the side of our house on South St here in Washington, CT this morning (Sunday, 26 Aug 2012). I think it is likely a young ovenbird but would like any folks comments on my ID that this deceased bird is an ovenbird. My "notes" of this bird, which I have "on hand" are below:

Upper body - Brown

Tail, rump, upper-tail coverts - Lighter brown then upper body, almost a bit "yellowish" brown.

Head - Brown, with two black crown stripes

Eye - Slight eye ring, pale white

Throat - White, with black lateral throat stripes. Maler - White

Breast - White, with black stripes going down about half way down the breast along the sides of the breast. The black stripes continue down the flanks but are more "spotty". There are a few spots below the breast also.

"Feet" - Pale pinkish

Bill -
Upper mandible -Dark brown/black
Lower mandible - Paler then upper mandible

Tip of bill - Dark brownish

Measurements? - Hard to do a measurement of this bird, but appears to be about at least 4 inches long or so. Tail is about one and half inches?

Would appreciate any comments on my ID'ing this bird as a young ovenbird.

David W Babington
Washington, CT