[CT Birds] rail?

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 18:31:01 EDT 2012

What sort of rail or rail-like bird would I expect to find in North
Stonington by a pond surrounded by woods with a yard/field next to it?  We
get blue heron, kingfishers, and the occasional osprey around here.  We
were in the yard today and a bird landed in a tree, saw us, made a sound I
can't really describe and flew off.  I didn't see it but my husband did, he
said it had a striped head and yellow bill and looked sort of heron-like,
but smaller than a green heron would be.  Not much to go on but I was
hoping someone could make some suggestions as to what it might be so we can
keep an eye out for it to come back.

Thanks!
Julie Keefer