[CT Birds] rail?

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 07:50:31 EDT 2012

Hi Julie,
I would guess a juvenile Green Heron.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

________________________________
From: Julie Keefer <julie.keefer at gmail.com>
To: CT Birding <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Sun, August 26, 2012 6:31:06 PM
Subject: [CT Birds] rail?

What sort of rail or rail-like bird would I expect to find in North
Stonington by a pond surrounded by woods with a yard/field next to it?  We
get blue heron, kingfishers, and the occasional osprey around here.  We
were in the yard today and a bird landed in a tree, saw us, made a sound I
can't really describe and flew off.  I didn't see it but my husband did, he
said it had a striped head and yellow bill and looked sort of heron-like,
but smaller than a green heron would be.  Not much to go on but I was
hoping someone could make some suggestions as to what it might be so we can
keep an eye out for it to come back.

Thanks!
Julie Keefer