[CT Birds] rail?

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 07:50:31 EDT 2012

Hi Julie,
I would guess a juvenile Green Heron.

Frank Mantlik

From: Julie Keefer <julie.keefer at gmail.com>
To: CT Birding <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Sun, August 26, 2012 6:31:06 PM
Subject: [CT Birds] rail?

What sort of rail or rail-like bird would I expect to find in North
Stonington by a pond surrounded by woods with a yard/field next to it?  We
get blue heron, kingfishers, and the occasional osprey around here.  We
were in the yard today and a bird landed in a tree, saw us, made a sound I
can't really describe and flew off.  I didn't see it but my husband did, he
said it had a striped head and yellow bill and looked sort of heron-like,
but smaller than a green heron would be.  Not much to go on but I was
hoping someone could make some suggestions as to what it might be so we can
keep an eye out for it to come back.

Julie Keefer
For subscription information visit