[CT Birds] Extralimital - Epic MA pelagic trip 8/25-26

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 12:26:10 EDT 2012

Hi all,
Since people have been asking...
A number of CT birders were on the overnight Brookline Bird Club Extreme Pelagic
Trip out of Hyannis, MA Aug. 25-26.  Leaders included Steve Howell, Marshall
Iliff, Steve Mirick, James Smith, Tom Johnson, Ida Gurianas, and Naeem Yusuff.
 We visited the far offshore continental slope at Dogbody, Oceanographer's, and
Welker Canyons.  It was considered by all to have been the best ever pelagic
trip off MA (and perhaps New England).
We saw all six species of shearwaters and four species of storm-petrels ever
recorded in MA.  Highlights were:

1 or 2 BAROLO SHEARWATERSs (formerly considered Little Shearwater; the first was
initially spotted by Nick Bonomo at dawn 8/26)
1 RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD  (juvenile over the boat)
1 BRIDLED TERN, on flotsam next to the boat at sunset 8/25
7 WHITE-FACED STORM-PETRELS  - excellent views by all
9 BAND-RUMPED STORM-PETRELS - excellent views by all
Black Terns (many)
100+ Red-necked Phalarops
2-3 Red Phalaropes
10+ Hudsonian Godwits migrating
1 Finback Whale
Common Dolphins
Mola mola
2 Loggerhead Sea Turtles
1 Leatherback Sea Turtle
Portuguese Man-o-War
Flying Fish

I will post some photos later.  In the mean time, look here for some great
photos by Doug Hithcox and Tom Johnson:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/click on the "ebird rarities photos"

Anyone juiced in getting offshore in the near future, there is  an upcoming
offshore pelagic trip scheduled Sept 6th (9pm) - 7th (9pm) off RI, organized by
Carlos Pedro.  A few spaces remain.  Contact him at   dcpedro at cox.net

Frank Mantlik