[CT Birds] Kent Nighthawks

John Johnson john.adele at charter.net
Tue Aug 28 20:11:16 EDT 2012

8/28 – Kent; North Kent Road; COMMON NIGHTHAWK. At 6:15 this evening, 200-300 birds were feeding low over a field close to the Housatonic River. On the east side of the river, directly across from the northern end of River Rd. Funny to see so many Nighthawks, and not a single call. Eerily quiet. Good number of Tree Swallows feeding a little above the Nighthawks, but not mixing in with them.

After 20-some years of not seeing a large flock of Nighthawks, this is my second large group sighting at this field in the last three or four years. I'm sure it's just lucky timing, but I'll be visiting this field again.

John Johnson