[CT Birds] B-w Teal, P-b Grebe

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 13:25:14 EDT 2012

>From Greg Hanisek
8/29 Waterbury, Tracy Pond - 12 BLUE-WINGED TEAL, one PIED-BILLED GREBE
Passerine migrants were surprisingly hard to come by this a.m., although Black-capped Chickadees were everywhere, suggesting a bit of a push. They periodically stage large eruptive movements. When I got to Tracy Pond I realized at least something found flight conditions favorable. The grebe was an immature bird showing head striping, but it was full-sized and certainly flew to get to this pond, which I check all the time. This is an early date. The flock of teal lacked any birds showing signs of adult male plumage.This species has been on the move recently as expected.