[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club September Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 15:53:05 EDT 2012

Folks,

Following is the September schedule of activities of the New Haven
Bird Club.  Please note that for the next two years approximately,
due to renovations at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment
Station, the monthly second Thursday indoor meetings will be now held
at the Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, in
Hamden.  Directions to the Center and parking information are given
below.

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, September 13, 2012 — Sam Fried.  Eastern Canada: Journey of
Discovery
Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden,
CT.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more
information call 203-230-1697 or visit www.newhavenbirdclub.org.
Explore Canada’s Maritime Provinces as Sam recounts his 6,000+ mile
trip by car and boat through that beautiful and remote part of North
America. We’ll check out the birds and other wildlife as we visit New
Brunswick and circumnavigate Cape Breton Island of Nova Scotia. We’ll
cross the Northumberland Strait to the magnificent and stark scenery
of Newfoundland, with its craggy headlands, rocky seacoast, and
fascinating history. The wildlife in this little known province is
key, as we’ll discover from Sam’s great photos. Then we continue the
tour on the new 700-mile dirt road that circles Labrador through the
endless boreal forest. We end the journey in Quebec with its more
civilized delights. Sam, an avid longtime birder and photographer, is
founder of Flights of Fancy Adventures, a birding, photography,
natural history, and golf travel company. Sam has published many
photos, articles, and books. His North American bird list has 740
species, 722 of them photographed. A recent 7,000-mile trip from FL
through the Midwest and on to CT got him 320 species.

Directions to the Whitney Center (WC):

 From I-95 North or South: Exit onto I-91 North in New Haven. Take
Exit 6 (Willow St.).  At end of ramp turn right onto Willow and
proceed to the end (Whitney Ave.). Turn right onto Whitney and go
approximately 4 miles. Turn left onto Putnam Avenue.

On Putnam go approximately .07 mi, (3 traffic lights) and turn right
onto Leeder Hill (ATT bldg is at that intersection). Go .06 mi. on
Leeder Hill to the South Entrance (big sign) of WC on the left. Turn
in and take an immediate left into a raised parking area. Meeting is
in the South Bldg., accessed via the main door of the portico that is
in view from the parking lot. Turn right down the hallway. Cultural
Arts Center is a short distance on the left.

 From I-91 South: Take Exit 6 (Willow St.) in New Haven. At end of
ramp, turn right onto Willow and proceed as above.

 From Wilbur Cross (Rte. 15) northbound: Take Exit 61 (Whitney Ave).
Turn left at end of ramp, go 2.4 mi., turn right onto Putnam.

 From Wilbur Cross (Rte. 15) southbound: Take Exit 61 (Whitney Ave.
New Haven). At end of ramp go right. Proceed to Putnam.

Field Trips:

Daily Hawk Watch at Lighthouse Point Park.  September 1 to November
30, 2012.  Free and open to the public.  Lighthouse Point Park on New
Haven Harbor is one of the premier locations in southern New England
for observing migrating raptors as well as a wide variety of
songbirds. The watch starts daily at 7:00 am and continues as long as
the hawks keep flying. Stop by anytime.  Coordinator— Steve Mayo:
203.393.0694, rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net

First Wednesday Walk : CT Audubon Coastal Center, Milford.
Wednesday, September 5, 2012, 8 am.  Free and open to the public.
Join us as we look for shorebirds, terns, and fall migrants at this
excellent local birding location. Ten to fifteen shorebird species
are possible.  Bring a scope if you have one.  Leader is Steve
Spector.  Contact person—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com. For more information:
www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Lighthouse Point Bird Walk and Prep for Migration Festival.
Saturday, September 8, 2012, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.
Ranger Dan Barvir and Arne Rosengren will lead the bird walk.  Meet
at the Hawk Watch parking lot at Lighthouse Point. Then, beginning at
9:30 am, we will perform some light trail maintenance and cleanup.
This is a great way to enjoy looking at birds and help preserve their
habitat at the same time. Leaders—Dan Barvir: 203 946-6086; Arne
Rosengren: 203 248-2903. For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Migration Festival at Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven.  Sunday,
September 23, 2012, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.  This festive event is
sponsored by the New Haven Parks Dept., the NHBC, and other fine
organizations. There will be hawk watching, bird banding demos, a
live raptor display, bird walks, and other activities. Check the
newspaper and Club newsletter for more details. Organizer—Ranger Dan
Barvir: 203.946.6086. For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director