[CT Birds] Boothe Park 8/29 RED CROSSBILLS

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:01:14 EDT 2012

I had the RED CROSSBILLS early in the morning during some of my time there,
detailed below. Plus more RBNU. Thanks to all who helped piece together 8
hours today. Not bad for August. I struck out on Nighthawk watching tonight
though.

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Aug 29, 2012
Black Vulture - 9
Osprey - 15
Bald Eagle - 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 8
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
Broad-winged Hawk - 5
American Kestrel - 3
Merlin - 1
Total: 48

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Frank Mantlik, Lynn Jones, Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Bill Banks, Charlie Barnard, Lynn Jones, Sara Zagorski,
                  Tina Green, Tom Murray

Weather:
A cold front passed through yesterday morning leaving us with a high moving
in over the Ohio Valley, a bit too south and weak/distant for us to really
be cranking. It dried the air but we still got well into the 70s, keeping
the skies extremely blue and clear all day except for the mid-morning warm
up. Winds stayed mostly NW, but surface flow would bend to all directions
and calm down as the day wore on.

Raptor Observations:
Several BLVU, TUVU, OSPR, RTHA, and even a couple RSHA were all called
locals and dismissed repeatedly. It's tough right now. The BLVU still broke
our record for migrants in a day (4, repeatedly) and we're two away from
the seasonal record.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Black-bellied Plover  35 - Flying down over the river
Greater Yellowlegs  2 - Likely, heading due W together
Chimney Swift  178
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  13
Eastern Kingbird  3
Tree Swallow  6
Barn Swallow  19
Cedar Waxwing  25
BOBOLINK 11
Red-winged Blackbird  45
Brown-headed Cowbird  14

Migrants in the park included:
Eastern Phoebe  1
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH  2 - In the western spruces and around the garden
American Redstart  1
RED CROSSBILL  2 - Around 8:10, female coming from the east flew into
tallest spruce on the west side, paused momentarily, and flew off calling
lightly. Awesome. Around 9:30ish, bird heard calling loudly while heading
east from those spruces that went directly overhead. I got a decent look at
a juvenile.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT