[CT Birds] Sandhill Crane flyover at Hammonasset at 6:00pm, 8/29/12

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 09:52:58 EDT 2012

8/30/12  -- Re: sighting on 8/29/12
Yesterday evening (8/29/12) at a few minutes after 6:00 pm.,I observed a Sandhill Crane flying west over Meigs Point at Hammonassett Beach State Park in Madison.
I was several hundred feet north of the point, standing in the picnic area near Willards Island and the Cedar Trail. I was looking south, scanning the beach. I saw a large, long gray bird flying west.
The legs and neck were both extended horizontally and the big wings seemed also to be horizontal.  I'm not good at assessing size; the length from bill to feet seemed to be 7 or 8 feet, and the long neck about 2 feet.
This was a long bird. As far away as I was,I could not actually see the head. The air was very clear, and the gray silhouette stood out sharply. I can still see it in my mind.
I drove to the west end Parking lot hoping to find the bird, but was unsuccessful. I was hoping that another birder might spot it, as it seemed to follow the beach. It might have reached Milford or Stratford by sunset.
I checked bird books and google. The bird I saw resembles photos of an adult Sandhill Crane.

Also at Hammo were  a couple hundred, at least,  of Monarch Butterflies.

Louise P. Tucker - Enfield, CT