[CT Birds] Red Crossbills - Colebrook

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 30 13:41:13 EDT 2012

This morning at 7:30 Wayne Meagher was at Colebrook Reservoir, when he heard
some birds calling from the woods
at the side of the road.
He got out and saw about 19 birds at the top of a Hemlock. They were actively
feeding
 from hemlocks as they flew about. He said some were brownish with dark stripes
and some were all red.

He said they were not Purple Finch. He thought they were Red Crosbills.
 I asked him if the calls were like - Jip-Jip? He said yes.
He and i believe what he saw were probably a flock of Red Crossbill!

When I met him at 8:00ish, we birded some more, and here is the combined list of
what we saw...

20 - Peep - most likely Semi and Least Sandpiper - but the majority of Peep
 seemed to have left after this cool night. More to come?
1 - Spotted Sandpiper
12 Bank Swallow
1 Merlin (harrasing a Bald Eagle on a stump)
2 - Kestrel
1 - PhiladelpiaVerio
    sevearal Red-eyed Vireo
1 - Tennasee Warbler