[CT Birds] Black Skimmer? ID help

David Carey careydavid at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 31 09:27:00 EDT 2012

Thursday evening having dinner at the Blue Oar in Haddam overlooking the Ct River. Unfortunately didn't have my binos packed with the wine and silverware. We saw a bird come down along the surface and thought it was landing. But it skimmed the surface, rose up and then skimmed two more times. Poor light at dusk wasn't enough to get a better look. I've seen Black Skimmers on the Outer Banks. I'm on the ct river a lot and have never seen one here. Could it have been one? Or is there another bird that might fish in a similar fashion?

Captain Dave