[CT Birds] Backyard Purple Finches, Hunting Hawks, Colchester

Pamela Holden pjp.holden at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 14:39:02 EDT 2012

08/31/12 - For several weeks now - this is my 1st chance to post - we've had
purple finches feeding on the sunflower chips we offer in one of our
feeders.  What beauties!

We've also been watching our resident (or so we thought) sharp-shinned hawk
terrorize our backyard birds many times per day till we finally realized
that there have been two of them hunting hard back here.  They seem to know
each other and hunt together.  One might hunker down in brush slightly
downhill from the feeders and sneak up from the ground while the other seems
to come down from the trees.  Is this common among sharpies?

Pam Holden

Colchester CT