[CT Birds] Quaker Crossbills

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 13:53:06 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Not much in raptors (probably not much till late in the week either) but another 3 Red Crossbills flew over calling today at the watch. Sunday I popped into Central Park with some friends (in part to reacquaint myself with the park for a trip I am doing with Greenwich Audubon on the 30th). They had Crossbills there on Friday (and Saturday I think) which were solely feeding on Hemlock trees - I wonder if this is some preference for hemlock or small cones for whichever type of Red Crossbill we are seeing or them merely making use of what was essentially a poor selection of cone bearing trees?

Luke Tiller, Greenwich