[CT Birds] Chestnu Hill (Litchfield) Hawk Watch start date, 8 Sept (Saturday)

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 6 09:04:16 EDT 2012

We will start watching for migrating hawks at the Chestnut Hill hawk watch in Litchfield, CT on Saturday, 8 Sept 2012. Directions to Chestnut Hill can be found by looking up Chestnut Hill at the web site for the Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) web site at www.hawkcount.org . The Chestnut Hill hawk watch is at the intersection of Camp Dutton Rd and Chestnut Hill Rd in Litchfield, CT. Hawks have been counted at Chestnut Hill since 1973. Hawk are watched for a limited time period at Chestnut Hill in September, so the bulk of the hawks counted at Chestnut Hill are broad-winged (BW) hawks. One day last Sept 2011 we counted over 2,000 broad-winged hawks at Chestnut Hill. With a cold front predicated for late Saturday (8 Sept) into Sunday (9 Sept) we might have a good flight of hawks on Sunday (9 Sept) and early next week at Chestnut Hill and other Connecticut hawk watch sites. Monarch butterflies migrating by are also fun to watch at
 Chestnut Hill, some monarchs fly incredibly high.

David W Babington
(Site Coordinator, Chestnut Hill Hawk Watch, Litchfield, CT)
Washington, CT