[CT Birds] Raptors Abound

Edward Dettore ctbirding at mail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:44:28 EDT 2012

Being from East Hartford, I am a regular visitor to Laurel Marsh, just over the town line in Manchester. Today, amoung the 27 species were two Osprey, two American Kestrel, a Peregrine Falcon, a Red-tailed Hawk, and what I think was a Northern Harrier. Now, the Red-tailed is not uncommon, but, the Ospreys, Kestrels, and Peregrine Falcon were a first for me at this location. They were all spotted in the area of the observation platform. There has been a platform there for years, specifically for an Osprey nest, and as far as I know it has never been used. Is this indicative of the season, with migrants passing through, both hunter and prey alike?

 Ed Dettore