[CT Birds] LPP Hawks etc. Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:12:06 EDT 2012

>From Dana Campbell:
9/7/12 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - 32 migrating raptors
observed including 1 PEREGRINE FALCON, 2 Northern Harriers, 2 American
Kestrels, and 19 Sharp-shinned Hawks.  Also moving through were ca. 500
Tree Swallows, small numbers of Cedar Waxwings and Bobolinks, 1
DICKSCISSEL, 3 PURPLE FINCH, 3 Palm Warblers, 2 Tennessee Warblers, and
some misc. others.
Early in the day there was high melodrama when a young Robin I had observed
on the ground near the watch was snatched only a couple of yards from me by
a small male Sharpie.  The bird let out an awful squawk, the Sharpie
dropped it, the Robin scuttled under my chair, and the Sharpie, foiled,
flew across the field being harassed by a passing Ruby-throated
Hummingbird.  Although quite shaken, and having left 6-7 wing feathers
(seeming to be tertials and secondaries) and some down on the ground, the
little Robin was chowing down on a fat earthworm and hopping around in the
shelter of a bush when we left the park.  Disaster averted.

--
Dana Campbell, Interim Rector
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Meriden
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come."

Chinese Proverb