[CT Birds] Fairfield - Dickcissel

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:26:07 EDT 2012

Although I've wanted to visit for a while, I only just managed to get to
the new 11-acre conservation area bordering the new Fairfield Metro Train
Station for the first time today. Even when I first walked in, I had a good
feeling about this site, that it was a place that could turn up good birds.
However, it was upon finding a female DICKCISSEL that I realized this was a
truly special and unique location, composed of a habitat type that is very
rare in Fairfield (grassy fields and *healthy *wetlands).

I first spotted the DICKCISSEL perched atop a fence with a couple of Song
Sparrows, before it flew down into the Goldenrod and out of site. This
location was due east of the southernmost boardwalk, east of the path. I
returned to the location around ten minutes later, and finally located the
Dickcissel on the west side of the path, still due east of the boardwalk.
The bird then flew into a nearby neighborhood, and began interacting with
House Sparrows. Although I never saw the bird again, I did hear it amongst
the masses of House Sparrows, hidden in some short, ornamental pines and
grasses. This location was just south of the intersection between Kenard
Street and Kenwood Avenue, in a fenced-in gravel lot that had a parked
corvette in it.

Other highlights at the Metro Conservation Area included:

1 Eastern Kingbird
1 Palm Warbler (palmarum)
1 Common Yellowthroat
14 Savannah Sparrow
1 Bobolink

I then hit the Ash Creek Open Space area, where I was able to record 4
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield