[CT Birds] Misidentification earlier this week in New Britain?

busterggi at aol.com busterggi at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 15:06:04 EDT 2012

This past Tuesday I reported a Black Poll Warbler at my feeder but the bird was back this afternoon and it clearly had white completely around its eyes, not just below and on its cheeks.  My daughter (who lives in Northampton, MA) had told me the day before that she had seen a Black and White Warbler so I had warblers on my mind when I went through my guide.

But based on the second look I had this afternoon I'm thinking it looked more like a female Red Cockaded Woodpecker which, according to my guide shouldn't be here.  Are there any other black and white birds around titmouse sized that have a black cap but have white completely around their eyes and on their cheeks?  Or was this possibly a R C W?

Bob Jase