[CT Birds] 9/9 Hammo, plus some 9/8 birds

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 17:46:42 EDT 2012

There was very little evidence of active migration this morning at
Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison, nor were there apparently any new
shorebirds downed by last night's strong front. There were still some
interesting birds around to keep me from falling asleep standing up. Of
note, the pines here are indeed loaded with cones. Perhaps they will hold
some crossbills this week? The park entrance fee for CT residents was $9
today. A few photos of the Clay-colored Sparrow can be seen here:

Highlights included:
Little Blue Heron  2     one juv, one pied immature
Little Blue x Tricolored Heron (hybrid)  1     continuing; seen in the
Meigs Pt pool
Northern Harrier  1
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Pectoral Sandpiper  8
American Kestrel  2
Peregrine Falcon  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher)  1     silent
Red-breasted Nuthatch  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  4
American Redstart  2
Yellow Warbler  7
Palm Warbler (Western)  8
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
Clay-colored Sparrow  1     mixed in with Chipping Sparrows at Middle
Beach; photos
Dickcissel  1     heard only
Bobolink  8     migrating
Purple Finch  3     migrating

Belatedly, I visited Cromwell Meadows yesterday morning for passerines.
This is the first time I have spent much time here and was able to walk
most of the trail. The habitat and geography here look really, really good
for migrating passerines, both spring and fall. The marsh is undoubtedly
excellent for waterfowl, and I noticed a large amount of wild rice out
there, supposedly a favored haunt of Yellow Rails. I look forward to
spending more time here in the future. Warning though, this is a heavily
hunted area, and just yesterday I ran into folks hunting goose and
squirrel. So reserve autumn visits for Sundays, or be sure to wear a lot of

Phil Rusch and I spent yesterday afternoon watching from a few points along
the SE coast during the moderate-to-strong southerly winds. At Stontington
Point 4 COMMON EIDERS and 25 American Oystercatchers were worth mentioning.
There wasn't much else going on here. There was a lot of tern activity as
seen from Enders Island in Mystic, including 6 BLACK TERNS and a FORSTER'S.
Seemed ripe for a Parasitic Jaeger, but no dice.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT