[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 231 Raptors and Crossbills

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 18:16:16 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A nice day developed slowly and we finally tallied 231 raptors, with the majority appearing at great height in the afternoon. There was a nice mix although almost half were Broadies. I'm guessing tomorrow will be better as Steve suggested, although it's still early in the season so I wouldn't expect a mega flight.

Overhead were a smattering of Purple Finches, Bobolinks and the now ubiquitous Red-breasted Nuthatches. We also had the one group of about a dozen Red Crossbills right over the watch at treetops which were vocalizing as well and a much more distant group of about 20 that I am pretty certain were Crossbills but with no vocalizations at that distance I am not going to pull the trigger on a definitive ID.

Not much on the deck beyond a White-eyed Vireo. I imagine that might well improve tomorrow as well.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich