[CT Birds] Bluff Point Morning Flight 09/10/12

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Sep 10 11:31:54 EDT 2012

Morning flight at Bluff Point, Groton, played out as expected/feared; good numbers but many flying too soon and way too high. Here are estimated numbers of notable birds identified by the group that I am aware of, there may be some birds seen I didn't hear about. The estimates are mine, and I consider them conservative. Observation was from 0600 till 0915.

Sharp-shinned Hawk (1)
American Kestrel (2)
Merlin (1)
Common Nighthawk (1)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (2)
Northern Flicker (15)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (5)
Empidonax sp (2)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Great Crested Flycatcher (6)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Red-eyed Vireo (3)
Probable Yellow-throated Vireo (2)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (approx 75)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (15-20)
Veery (3)
Catharus sp (5 or 6)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (150+)
Yellow Warbler (3)
Magnolia Warbler (2)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (8 to 10)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1)
Black-throated Green Warbler (40+)
Blackburnian Warbler (2)
Prairie Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (3)
Blackpoll Warbler (5)
"Baypoll" Warbler (10)
Black-and-white Warbler (30+)
American Redstart (400-500) probably a low estimate
Common Yellowthroat (3)
Hooded Warbler (1 adult male)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
Probable Nashville (2)
Probable Chestnut-sided (2)
Probable Opronis sp (1)
Probable Canada (1)
Unidentified Warblers (1,000+) probably a low estimate
Scarlet Tanager (6)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (6)
Baltimore Oriole (4)
Purple Finch (15-20)

A good many of the unidentified warblers (that were at least looked at as they flew over) were likely one of these: Parula, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Baypolls, or Black-and-whites. No doubt some goodies got by unidentified!

Many hundreds of Green Darners this morning as their migration is fully underway. I expect a calmer day tomorrow with better, longer views of the birds. If the sun is there before you, you are late!

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.