[CT Birds] Menunkatuck Audubon Society Program Wednesday: Walking the Beaches for Birds

Dennis Riordan driordan at snet.net
Mon Sep 10 12:48:39 EDT 2012

Walking the Beaches for Birds: The Seabird Ecological Assessment Network (SEANET)

Sarah Courchesne

Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

Blackstone Memorial Library, Branford (map)

Note: The listing in Sunday's New Haven Register was in error. The Scott Williams program was last year.

Back by popular demand! Please join us as we open a new program season on September 12 with Walking the Beaches for Birds: The Seabird Ecological Assessment Network (SEANET).
Sarah Courchesne is back with the wonderful program she presented for Menunkatuck in May 2011 at the Guilford Free Library. It was so well received that we’ve invited her to present her program at one of our monthly meetings at the Blackstone Library.
Always wanted to be a scientist but didn’t want to spend 12 years in school? Interested in coastal ecology? Want to contribute to our understanding of Atlantic seabirds? Then please join us to learn more about SEANET, the only coordinated beached bird survey on the east coast of the United States. SEANET volunteers walk a chosen stretch of coastline once, twice or more times a month and report their observations to a centralized database. Data on sick and dead seabirds helps SEANET detect mass mortality events, emerging threats, and impacts from oil spills and offshore development.
This presentation will get you started as a SEANET beach walker, and will also outline some of the findings they’ve made over the years. With only a handful of volunteers currently walking in Connecticut, odds are that your favorite beach is available. Can’t commit right now? Join us anyway for an informative and entertaining evening.