[CT Birds] turkeys chasing goldfinches

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 18:32:01 EDT 2012

9/10  Orange backyard
There is a bumper crop of baby goldfinches in my yard this year.  So loud
and constantly begging. This evening there is one that must have just
fledged.  It is flying very low around the yard, it lands, eats a bit and
then flies low between bushes and trees.  There is also my regular flock of
8 turkeys here this evening.  As the baby goldfinch is flying low, the
turkeys are going after it. The turkeys would not be discouraged as I
played interference until the young goldfinch finally went into a low
tree.  I wonder if the turkeys were "playing" or would they actually eat a
baby goldfinch if they got it?
Bev Propen, Orange