[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 959 Raptors - Philly Vees etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 21:29:06 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A decent day at the count today with 959 Raptors: 14 Balds (probably not the same ones from Lighthouse), 820 Broadies. Raptors were high and distant today making for tough viewing in general.

On the deck were 13 species of warblers (good numbers but nothing more noteworthy than a Wilson's that I think I recognized from a day or two back thanks to a distinctive cap pattern) and a decent warbler morning flight, as has been noted before here - 200 plus birds before I started looking in the trees. Our first RC Kinglets (which reminds me I had my first Lincoln's Sparrow on the 5th), Purple Finches and Bobolink flyovers.

Best passerine/s of the day were one or two Philly Vireos - hard to know for sure when you see them in different spots separated by some time whether it's two sightings of one bird. A quick cautionary tale, twice now I have seen very bright Warbling Vireos on the property - much brighter overall than today's Philadelphia. I'm sure most people know that it's important to look carefully where the yellow is on the bird and for some of the somewhat nuanced face pattern and structural differences with these two. The face pattern of one of the Warbling Vireos this week was almost as strong as your typical Philly but although a fairly bright yellow overall it was almost completely missing from the throat (where it should be strongest on a Philly). Of course you never know for sure, but my bet is this is one of the more regularly misidentified fall passerines. A nice article here: http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/ID-WAVIvPHVI.html

Luke Tiller, Greenwich