[CT Birds] Bluff Point morning flight 09/11/12

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Sep 11 10:41:43 EDT 2012

Much smaller flight than I expected today but some good stuff. It is also the anniversary of 9/11. On September 11th, 2001 a number of us were birding the morning flight at Bluff on a really gorgeous day blissfully unaware of the attacks underway. As we were wrapping up I heard military fighter aircraft flying overhead at full throttle on a westerly heading and I remarked to the others with me that it was pretty unusually for such high speed flight since it burns up fuel at an incredible rate. Obviously that was not a routine flight but rather a combat mission to the skies over New York City, though we did not know that at the moment. It's a very different world 11 years later, but there are still warblers to watch! Interestingly on this anniversary, Steve Morytko, James Restivo, and I watched a WWII B-17 bomber take off from Groton-New London airport and fly low directly over us this morning. Pretty Cool.

The birds today: Roughly 400 Warblers, but only 9 species were confidently identified I believe. Small numbers of other species as well. Approximately 5 Red-breasted Nuthatches, only 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, only 1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 1 Brown Thrasher, etc. Best birds were 2 very obliging Philadelphia Vireos, 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and another frustratingly elusive empid. Still many warblers to come!

From Dave Provencher and others:
09/11/12 - Groton, Bluff Point - 2 Philadelphia Vireos, 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, 400 Warblers - 9 species.

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.