[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/11 - 1,460 raptors

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:25:43 EDT 2012

Short on time again but thanks to Tom Murray, Steve Foisey, Charlie
Barnard, and Frank Mantlik as we pieced together the 7:30-15:00 period.
There was often only one person present, so you can imagine we missed a
lot. If anyone counted after that it'll be a pleasant surprise, but it had
reportedly slowed down quite a bit around the end time. Here's the tally
for the day as of now:

Boothe Park Hawk Watch, Stratford 9/11 -- 1,460 diurnal raptors with 25
Osprey, 8 Bald Eagle, 1 Northern Harrier, 86 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 9 Cooper's
Hawk, 1,319 Broad-winged Hawk, 6 American Kestel, 1 Merlin, 2 UA, 2 UF, and
1 UR. 1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH hanging out in the spruce trees and up to 5
BLACK VULTURE also in and out all day. 2 COMMON LOON were seen heading
south for the FOS.

This morning at Stratford Point I had at least 6 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
feeding in the pines along the driveway plus 1 WILSON'S WARBLER
highlighting the migrants along the fence and tree line.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT