[CT Birds] LHPP - Western Kingbird???

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 20:53:07 EDT 2012

During the Hawkwatch today, there were not a lot of passerine movement. We did have 3 Ravens in the park, and less than 10 Hummingbirds.

What we did have, that we still are not 100% sure of, is a probably Western Kingbird. Sol Satin, Steve Specter and Rich Huck all had the bird in their scopes. The bird was a "big-headed" flycatcher, with a pale yellow wash underneath, below the whitish throat. There was a dark line from the back of the eye rearward. Pale yellow underbelly. Great Crested Flycatcher and Eastern Phoebe were ruled out almost immediately. GCFly because the color and shape was completely wrong. Unfortunately, no pictures were obtained. The bird was flycatching from the trees just to the right of the pavilion, and then moved to the "rounded" trees just to the right of that area.  We would be 90% sure of the identification.

Bill banks