[CT Birds] Hoppin tree!

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 12 11:07:10 EDT 2012

Went to Bakerville Swamp New Hartford this morning at 8 - one word - Dead!
Went to Brody Park South - Dead! Went to side rd off Niles Rd - Wow!

In an open overgrown field next to the woods, is an old 80' tall Black Spruce
tree,

dripping with cones ,being exposed to the rising east sun .
In 15 mins, I spotted the following birds within this one tree:

2-Blackburn Warbler
1- Magnolia
1 - Blackpoll
2- Yellow rump
1 - Bay breasted
1 - Pine
3 - Black-t-Green
1 - Redstart
1 -Wood pewee
2 - Phoebe
15 - Purple Finch-flew out of tree top when I got there.
1-Mockingbird
2 - BC Chickadee
1 - Titmouse
6- Im Sapsucker!
1 - Downy Woodpecker
1 - Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 - Blue headed Vireo
2 - C Waxwing -(25 all around)
3 - Goldfinch
3 - Chipping Sparrow
2 - Blue jay ........22 species in one tree in 15 minutes! (Gota be a record for
me)
Many were flycatching from this dense tree, perched at branch tips -
 otherwise i would not have seen them.

Also in/under Apple tree, 10 feet from Spruce in this field were:
3 Junco
2 - White-t-Sparrow
2- Song Sparrow
1 -Catbird
1 -Cardinal
1 - House Wren
1 - Ruby-crowned Kinglet

I needed to leave for Apt, otherwise with time, I might have added
many more birds using that one Spruce tree!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton