[CT Birds] Hoppin tree! - Finding migrants

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Sep 12 16:28:56 EDT 2012

Paul's experience offers a good hint for anyone who finds looking for fall
passerine migrants more difficult or frustrating than finding them in the
spring. (And it is both, because of lack of song and because trees/shrubs
are still heavily leafed).

One important thing is persistence, because flocks of warblers and others
songbirds aren't uniformly distributed over even good habitat. If the first
place has nothing, try the second, then the third (when Paul struck it
rich).

A second is the rising sun that Paul mentioned. Look for birds in places
bathed by the morning sun. Look for a "green wall," a place where a nice
wall of trees meets open habitat such as a field, a powerline, a cemetery or
even your yard.

Third, listen for activity by noisy common birds such as chickadees and
titmice. Feeding flocks of warblers, vireos etc will often merge with these
feeding groups. It pays to be alert for this activity wherever you are,
because the feeding groups can materialize in places where you aren't
expecting them. On the otherhand, if you find a good flock one day, try that
place again another day.

Of course weather plays a big role. We've just come off a couple days of
excellent migration conditions with clear nights and northerly winds. I've
found some nice groups of migrants both days just by working my way around
my usual birding spots near home.

When passerines are on the move feeding, they can be found in any native
trees, but there are a few planted types that can be very productive -
planted spruces (mostly Norway spruce, which are huge and widespread);
willows (both planted weeping willows and scrubbier native ones); and
planted birches. The scrubby willows and planted birches can be especially
productive later in the fall as the warblers are thinning out.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury