[CT Birds] Shorebirding this morning (or at least making an attempt)

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Sep 14 14:19:30 EDT 2012

Shorebirding this morning was (slow) for the lack of a better word.

Started off early at Milford Point. The tide was nearly high incoming.
I walked all along the beach to the western end as far as I could go.
Grand total- 2 Shorebirds (1 Least Sandpiper and 1 Semi-palmated
Plover). On the nearly covered bar near the low stones were a handful
of roosting shorebirds- 10 Sanderling, 10 Semi-palmated Sandpiper, 6
Least Sandpiper, 6 Semi-palmated Plover, 1 Black-bellied Plover, 1
Oystercatcher and 1 Dunlin (probably the same one I photographed on
Wednesday)- thats it!

Stratford Marina was consistent- 43 Yellowlegs (mostly Greater), 7
Short-billed Dowitcher, and 7 WILLET which looked lovely in their
nearly all grey winter dress. The Long-billed Dowitcher was not
present! There were 15 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons roosting in the
trees across the lagoon. I just started to photograph the Shorebirds
roosting on dock-X when someone came and walked out on the dock in
front of me and released a Canada Goose which obviously scattered all
the Shorebirds. A few later returned to the docks, but most roosted on
the pilings in the lagoon.

Stratford- Birdseye Street boat ramp- 1 hen Gadwall, 2 Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons, 1 Green Heron. From the Greenway- 0!!

Stratford, the tdal pond across from the Michel Co.- 11 Green-winged
Teal, 3 BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a 1 juvenile SHOVELER.

Stratford, Long Beach Park- 1 Sanderling, 2 BLack-bellied Plover and 1
Ruddy Turnstone. In the marsh off Oaks Bluff Ave. - 2 Semi-palmated
Plover

Stratford Point (walking in along the fence on the fishermans path)- 1
Great-crested Flycatcher, 1 smaller Flycatcher (probably a Willow), 1
Common Yellowthroat, 1 unidentified very small Sparrow. On the rocks
off Short Beach- 2 BLack-bellied Plover.

I didn't stop at Sandy Point on the way home, I decided it probably
wouldn't be worth it.

Made a quick run through Hammonasset- 0!!

Keith Mueller
Killingworth